Monday, June 29, 2015

Second Worship Time
On Sunday, June 28, we worshiped at the closest ELCA congregation to our house, Lord of Life Lutheran Church on 161 in northwest Columbus/southern Worthington. We decided to go to the traditional Lutheran Liturgy at 9:00 a.m. instead of the 11:00 contemporary service because we wanted to get on to our day and I am a traditional Lutheran liturgy lover. We chose this congregation on this day because I knew that Pastor Jim Wilson is going on his sabbatical on Wednesday of this week so this is his last Sunday to preach for four months. He is an excellent preacher and I wanted to hear him before he took his sabbath journey.
We found a close parking spot in the parking lot even though there was not a lot of signage. I have been to Lord of Life many times, so I knew where I was going. We went into the correct door, and people were gathering and talking in the Narthex area, which is large and welcoming. There was no one identified to welcome us or other visitors, but as I said, I knew my way around so I found Jim and we started talking. I grabbed a cup of coffee, was told it was okay to take into the sanctuary, so I took my coffee in. We had our two nieces from Cleveland with us who worship regularly at a Catholic parish, so I knew they would be comfortable in a traditional Lutheran liturgy. They were.
The service was a little over an hour including wonderful liturgy, great preaching on the topic of, "When bad things happen...to my neighbor" and Holy Communion. Jim shared his own nervousness when he meets a beggar, challenging us to own up to our own nervousness. He then preached on the assigned Revised Common Lectionary text where Jesus is on his way to Jairus' house  to heal his q2 year old daughter and a woman with a 12 year hemorhage touches his cloak - begs for his attention - and he heals her before going on to not only heal Jairus' daughter (one who is privileged in their society) but by the time he gets on his way, he raises her from the dead. It was a message filled with grace and law, both to comfort us with the promise of God love through Jesus Christ and to call us to live out that love in our lives. A better message at half the time of last week's sermon!
After worship we talked with a few people, the most welcoming of which was a pastor's wife who noticed us and wanted to welcome us. We left and speaking personally, I was uplifted with the love of Christ!
Although Jim's preaching is something I cannot promise I can attain to, the service was done well musically and liturgically and I think that Clinton Heights is very comparable to theirs.
Thank you Jim and Lord of Life Lutheran for welcoming us with the love of Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you at Lord of Life--I was a visitor at the 11:15 service! Always love worshiping there. Hope your sabbatical is full of rest and renewal. Karen Saupe

    ReplyDelete