Friday, June 26, 2015

Books

Books,
Well, I have read more in the last month that I have in the last year - three and a half books, to be precise. It may not have been more than I have read total, because I read things when I am in the office from the Lutheran magazine and other publications as well as commentaries on the weekly scriptures, etc. But I have read three and a half books since my sabbatical has started, and I have enjoyed them all.
      It all began with the theme book for my sabbatical, "Rebuilt". As I made my way through it, I discovered that not all of it applied precisely to Clinton Heights Lutheran Church, but it applies well enough to help us think critically about where were are going as a community of Christ. I hope that my congregation's leadership can learn that a church must consider why we do what we do, not just because we have always done it that way, but because it is valuable in sharing he gospel with people who are lost or hurting.
       John Ortberg's book on "Soulkeeping" was a wonderful personal reflection on making spirituality a priority in life, of trying to eliminate the "hurry" from life to experience God's blessing everywhere and not to make the best the way we have been taught to as successful Americans.
      Daid McCoulough's book, "The Wright Brothers" is a masterpiece on the family from Dayton Ohio who dedicated themselves to solving the problem that puzzled humanity until the early 1900's. Orville and Wilbur had a sister, Katherine, who was just as dedicated to solving this problem as they were. McColough paints a marvelous picture of the years 1899 - 1910, which were formative in the aeronatic birth of our world. The Wrights were not done when they first flew at Kitty Hawk- their battle continued until Wilbur successfully showed the crowds at Le Mans, France and Orville at Camp Myers in Virginia, that flight was not only possible, but that their machines could move through the air with the greatest of ease! What a book it was!
       I am half-way through the book, "Falling Upward" which is a nice devotional book by Franciscan Father Richard Rohr. I will share more about this book later, but suffice it to say that it is a formative book for me as it speaks to the "second half of life" when success and striving after those things like wealth and fame as over, and we settle into the parts of life that are more important, like experience and relationships, etc.
      I must make one final comment today as this is the day when the Supreme Court decided that marriage between people of the same gender is allowed under the law. YAY! I am so happy and I hope that my congregation will join me in celebrating this landmark decision. I am not willing to perform ceremonies without the approval of my congregation, but I plan to encourage Clinton Heights to joyfully agree to perform weddings between all genders in the future. Thanks be to God that the love that our people have for each other can be made valid through this rite of marriage!
Peace, Pastor Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment