Sunday, June 21, 2015

First Worship Time
This morning was the first opportunity that my family and I were able to worship at a local congregation, since last Sunday morning was spent in an airport in Cancun getting home. I hope to worship at many different congregations with an eye to what a first time visitor might experience when they arrive - because as I have read the Rebuilt book I understand that it is often some of the seemingly little things that make a person feel welcome to a congregation. We decided to go to our friends' the Jacobsen's church, Bethel International United Methodist Church. It is very close to our house on Bethel Road, just east of Godown. They go to the more contemporary 11:00 a.m. service, and their son was the liturgist, which in Lutheran vocabulary would be lector.
        The first thing I noticed was a very large and well-marked parking lot. There were signs telling people where to park for what events - the front lot for the 9:30 service and the back lot for the 11:00 service. As we got out of our car it struck me how difficult it would be for a person to step foot for the first time in a new church with no one they know. Even though I am a pastor and have been in many different churches, I myself felt a bit nervous about being in a new place. The Jacobsens honked as they pulled into the lot when we were walking into the doors so even though there were people about 10 yards inside the door as greeters, we stood just inside to wait for Roy, Estrella, Sean and Matt.
     They were very welcoming to us - introducing us first to their pastor who was there with a cup of coffee in his hand. He greeted us warmly and invited us to partake of the many goodies that were set out - donuts, bagels and cream cheese, coffee, etc. If I knew it was going to be like this I wouldn't have eaten breakfast first!! I had one donut hole and a cup of coffee and tried to blend in. I was envious of the large gathering area that they have for tables and chairs as people can sit and enjoy their coffee and snacks, a very well equipped nursery just off this gathering room which is close to the sanctuary. It was a very welcome space indeed!
        The worship itself was a bit different than we are used to, but we knew it would be going in. Not only is it a United Methodist church, but also this was their contemporary service. The song leaders did a great job, especially the pianist who seems to have some training in not only worship leadership but also in pastoral ministry. He shared some reflections on the recent tragedy in Charleston, South Carolina and a prayer. It was appropriate and flowed smoothly. The songs, though only one was familiar to me, were singable. There were two screens on the side front walls projecting words, the pastor as he preached, and a couple of other short film clips or picture. The pastor mentioned that one of the projects they are considering is a new screen to be hung above the worship leaders in the middle front of the area. I must admit, it was a little awkward to keep looking at the screens on the two sides and would have been better to have a screen in the middle. I don't go in for screens too much, but it would have made it better for me.
        The vast majority of the service was taken up by the pastor's message - at least 30 minutes focusing on a theme of being "taken" by God and what that means in life. His text was from Colossians 3, one of the passages read at our wedding. He did a good job connecting the text to his stories, but he used a lot of personal stories, especially from this past week. One other thing I am aware of - he often referred to things that he has said in previous weeks or that he often says. I read in different places that folks who are visiting are a bit turned off or made to feel like outsiders when the preacher does this. I think I was able, though, to enjoy the message while still having some of my inevitable personal critiques, which every preacher has when he or she worships at another church.
       One last comment - they were promoting a drama that their group of young people do called, "Chains". It will be performed at several congregations in the area. The pianist, who seems to be the director of the production, mentioned how it is an evangelism tool, and he hoped that young people would experience it and think that church isn't that boring, but is exciting and fun. But as I looked around and considered the lengthy message and the length of the service (70 minutes and no communion) I couldn't help but think that people excited over the drama who would come to their congregation as a result might think that they were victims of the old, "bait and switch." A solid worship experience and good message, but I wouldn't call it, "exciting"! Thank you Roy and Estrella for sharing your congregation with us. We did enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment