Monday, July 13, 2015

Welcome to Denver!
Last Friday I flew from Columbus to Denver Colorado for the "personal retreat" portion of my sabbatical. Some people have asked what is the purpose of this portion of the sabbatical. I consider it a multi-purpose trip. First it is to spend just a few days alone, not responsible to anyone else. As I write this blog I am in my room at the Mt. Francis Retreat Center in Colorado Springs, where I will be for a few days. During this time I am able to read whenever I want, go for walks or drives or explore some of the beautiful scenery here. Another reason was that I have always wanted to visit the area because of its natural beauty.



Who wouldn't want to spend some time in the mountains with breathtaking views like this one. I must admit, it took a while for me to keep my eyes on the road when I first got on the freeway from the airport with the mountains in the distance! We just aren't used to this.

Later in my journey my friend Pat Woodward is coming out to join me and we are going to explore some of the brewery scene in Denver, Ft. Collins and Boulder. Craft beers has become a bit of a hobby for me and Pat knows his stuff! He is a chemistry professor at Ohio State and is familiar with the science of beer making. He can also plan out a trip itinerary with the best of them!!

I also wanted to visit some great friends from our days in Oak Harbor, Brett and Julie Smith and their family. I began my visit out here with them since Tuesday they leave with their youth group to go to the ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit. It was a real treat to spend time with them, their sons Josh and Ben, and Jerry and Kathy Robertson and their son Adam while here. They kept me busy hiking at the Red Rocks amphitheater, Lookout Mountain and attending a Drum and Bugle Corps show called, "Drums along the Rockies" in Mile High Stadium (Technically it is Sports Authority Field at Mile High, but to me it is always Mile High).
                                            
                              
Brett and Julie were such great hosts - their dogs Grady and Duke made me feel better, since I haven't been around good ol' Foxy, our dog, for a few days!

The amazing thing about Red Rocks is that it is not only an awesome outdoor amphitheater which has concerts with Rock's greats, classical artists and even a yearly Easter Sunrise Service, during the day hundreds of people come here to exercise up and down the steps!


On Lookout Mountain is the grave of Buffalo Bill Cody and his wife, Louise. He requested to be buried here. The government complied...then someone put a restaurant and gift shop to make some $!


One of the groups that performed or Drums along the Rockies was, "The Blue Coats" from Canton, Ohio! It was great to see the Buckeye state represented so well. All of the groups did awesome!

When I get more time I will post about my worship experience here at Brett and Julie's church, St John's Lutheran Church in Thornton, Colorado. I will also share about my time here at the Mt. Francis Retreat Center in Colorado Springs. Today I drove past the Air Force Academy and took a few shots, and went to the Garden of the Gods, a beautiful outcropping of red rocks. Tomorrow I plan to go up Pike's Peak! No I am not hiking it!! I can't decide whether I should go by car or cog railroad. The railroad sounds fun, but by car I can stop every once in a while along the road and take pictures. Oh, and play in the snow too! 
Peace and blessings to you all - Pastor Ralph Wolfe

No comments:

Post a Comment